A retirement village is a residential complex occupied by retirees who have entered into a contract with the operator of the complex.
The ACT Retirement Villages Act 2012 (the Act):
- set out the information retirement villages need to give prospective residents
- protects the rights of current residents
- contains clear guidance for operators.
The Act does not apply to:
- Commonwealth Government funded aged care hostels
- nursing homes
- mobile home parks
- residences subject to a tenancy agreement with the Housing Commissioner
- boarding houses
- Housing Assistance Act 2007 tenancies
- facilities on the grounds of retirement villages that include:
- respite care buildings
- employee accommodations
- residential premises, where the operator and resident have a residential tenancy agreement under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, if the agreement contains a term to say that the Act does not apply to the premises.
Retirement villages handbook
Download the Retirement villages handbook (PDF 4.7MB).