If you have been given a fine (a traffic or parking infringement notice), you can:

  • pay your fine (infringement) now
  • request more time
  • apply to pay your fine (infringement) through an agreed plan
  • request to waive the fine (infringement) due to financial hardship

Pay the fine (infringement) now

You can pay:

  • online: enter the infringement notice number (with no spaces) from the notice you received. Only VISA and MasterCard are accepted.
  • by BPay:
    • Biller code: 343533
    • Reference: your infringement notice number
  • by Post Billpay: visit an Australian Post Office and bring your notice of infringement
  • by phone Post Billpay using a VISA or MasterCard:
    • Call 13 18 16 and follow the prompts.
    • Billpay code: 0286
    • Reference: your infringement notice number.
    • The National Relay Service is available for the hearing impaired on 13 36 77
  • by calling Access Canberra 13 22 81.

Payment can take up to 3 business days to process.

Ask for a due date extension

To request an extension, you must be the person named on the infringement notice.

Use the Traffic and Parking Infringements Applications form.

Select the appropriate options for:

  • the type of extension you need (e.g., you need more time to pay or to gather documentation to request the infringement is withdrawn)
  • the amount of time you’ll need.

Upload any documents you have to support your need for more time.

Other ways to pay your fine (infringement)

If you’re struggling to pay your fine (infringement), you can apply to:

  • pay your fine (infringement) in instalments using an Infringement management plan. You can do this through CentrePay, direct debit, BPay or at Australian Post Offices.
  • pay off your debt by applying for a Work or development plan. Other penalties such as demerit points may still apply.

Infringement management plan

If you can’t pay your parking or traffic fines (infringements) straight away, you can apply to pay them in instalments. This is called an infringement management plan.

By applying for a plan, you:

  • choose a payment schedule
  • choose a way to pay
  • agree to follow the plan.

Apply for an infringement management plan

There are different ways to pay your instalments.

If you want to pay by:

  • direct debit, you can apply online
  • CentrePay or BPAY call the Access Canberra Infringement Office on 02 6207 6000.

Apply for an infringement management plan

Change an existing plan

If you have an existing plan and want to make changes, or add another infringement to the plan:

Missed or incomplete payments

Your driver licence and/or registration may be suspended if you:

  • miss making a scheduled payment
  • don’t pay the full instalment.

If your financial situation has changed, or you think you might struggle to make a scheduled payment, contact the Access Canberra Infringement Office as soon as possible:

Complete a program to reduce your fine (infringement)

If you’re struggling to pay your parking or traffic fine (infringement), you may be able to complete a community work or social development program to reduce the amount you owe. This is called a work or development plan.

Types of fines (infringements) you can have reduced

A work or development plan is available if your infringement was a:

  • traffic or traffic camera infringement notice
  • parking infringement (except those issued by the Australian National University or the National Capital Authority) notice.

If your application is approved, you won’t need to pay the fines (infringements) as long as:

  • you comply with the conditions of the plan, and
  • the value of the activities you do cover the amount you owe.

Types of activities

A work and development plan  can include one or more of the following activities:

  • doing unpaid work for an approved program provider
  • taking educational, vocational or life skills courses
  • getting financial or other counselling, such as for addiction, mental health or domestic violence
  • getting treatment for a physical or mental illness, disorder or disability
  • getting alcohol and other drug treatment
  • receiving mentoring.

If you are applying for a work and development plan on the grounds of addiction, you can only participate in alcohol and other drug treatment.

Check if you can apply

At least one of these situations must apply to you for you to apply:

  • you have a mental or intellectual disability, or mental disorder
  • you have a physical disability, disease or illness
  • you have an addiction to drugs, alcohol or another substance
  • you’re a victim of domestic violence
  • you are homeless, living in crisis or in transitional or supported accommodation.

You will need to provide appropriate documentation to prove that these circumstances apply to you.

This should include a letter from a financial advisor to confirm you can’t afford a payment plan.

If you are only applying due to serious financial hardship you will need to provide evidence. This may include:

  • rental slips
  • pay slips
  • bank statements
  • credit card statements.

The provider of the program will also need to support your application.

Applying for a Work or development plan

A list of approved program providers can be found in the 2024 Approved Work and Development Program providers list (PDF 135 KB) (DOCX 95 KB).

If you think you can apply for a work or development plan:

  1. Complete the Application for a Work or Development Program form (PDF 323 KB)
  2. Have the provider complete their part of the form.
  3. Gather your supporting documentation and email them and the forms to ACInfringements@act.gov.au.

If the Access Canberra Infringement Office approves your application, they will suspend any enforcement action against you while your plan is in place.

This means that if your licence was only suspended due to the unpaid fines (infringements), the suspension will be lifted.

If your licence was suspended due to demerit points, your licence may still be suspended.

Specific requirements and acceptable documentation are detailed in the Work or Development Plan Application Pack (PDF 533KB).

Reporting progress

If you’ve completed your program, or haven’t attended, program providers will notify the Access Canberra Infringement Office.

Providers use the Work and social development programs - Provider reporting sheet (PDF 181KB) to report your attendance.

Monetary value of activities

For each activity there is an assigned hourly or monthly monetary value. By doing these activities your debt will be reduced by that amount.

For example, if your debt is $375.00 and you are eligible for an unpaid work program, you’ll have paid off your debt after 10 hours of work.

Request the fine is waived

If you’ve received a parking or traffic infringement, you can request Access Canberra waive the financial part (the fine).

A waiver means you don’t need to pay the fine, but any penalties such as demerit points and suspensions still apply.

Waivers help vulnerable people deal with the financial part of an infringement notice.

You are eligible to apply for a waiver if:

  • you currently don’t have the financial ability to pay the fine, and you’re unlikely to ever be able to
  • there are relevant circumstances that impact your ability to pay
  • any enforcement efforts by the Access Canberra Infringement Office either haven’t resulted in you paying, or are unlikely to
  • you’re not eligible or able to take part in a work or development program.

Use the Traffic and Parking Infringements application form.

Access Canberra reviews applications against the:

Manage your infringement

Providing evidence of financial hardship

Evidence supporting that you are experiencing financial hardship can include:

  • rental slips
  • pay slips
  • bank statements
  • credit card statements.

Evidence of 'relevant circumstances' that impact your ability to pay could relate to:

  • a mental or intellectual disability, or mental disorder
  • a physical disability, disease or illness
  • an addiction to drugs, alcohol or another substance
  • domestic violence
  • homelessness, living in crisis or in transitional or supported accommodation.

Access Canberra may need to forward your information to our Driver Licence Medical Monitoring Team.

They may ask you to provide a medical clearance report from a specialist confirming you are fit to hold a driver licence.

Read about fitness to drive.